Are you planning to provide in-home weightlifting sessions to your clients? If so, you need the best weight adjustable dumbbells to minimize the amount of gear you’re traveling with.
This type of dumbbell is recommended because it provides the full functionality of an entire traditional dumbbell set in just a single compact dumbbell. Thanks to interchangeable weights, these are great investments for mobile personal trainers as they are compact enough to travel to and from your clients’ homes.
How do adjustable dumbbells work? Are adjustable dumbbells worth it? Which is the best option for you? These are some of the questions you may have. This adjustable dumbbells review will provide you everything you need to know! If you’re ready, let’s get started!
A Sneak Peek at the Best Adjustable Dumbbells Specifications
Best Adjustable Dumbbells for In-Home Workouts
Since we know price is likely to be the primary concern with this equipment, we rounded up some of the best cheap adjustable dumbbells that offer the best features. Here they are:
1) Powerblock Personal Trainer Set
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Pair of adjustable dumbbell weights for efficient, cost-effective strength training
- Adjusts from 5 to 50 pounds in 2.5-pound increments for maximum versatility
- Selector pin lets you change weights easily, just like with weight stack at the gym
- More compact and balanced than traditional dumbbells; padded handle for wrist protection
The Powerblock Personal Trainer dumbbell set is one of the most popular adjustable dumbbells in the market today. Personal trainers love this because it’s compact and highly portable. In addition to its sleek design, the dumbbells also come with padded handles, making it one of the most ergonomic adjustable dumbbells in the market.
One of the biggest concerns you may have is the difficulty of switching from one weight to another, especially since the dumbbells have 2.5-lb increments. Surprisingly, its selector pin makes the process a breeze. Their color-coding system is useful in helping you find the right weight as quickly as possible.
Lastly, the set is expandable. You can increase its weights to 70 lbs then to 90 lbs. But wait, there’s more. You can increase it to a maximum weight capacity of 120 lbs per hand. With this feature, the dumbbell can accommodate the increasing weight needs of your most advanced weightlifter.
- The equipment’s block-type frame is easy to store and won’t roll on the floor.
- It is expandable up to 120 lbs.
- Its design is innovative and aesthetically pleasing.
- The adjustment process is easy and hassle-free.
- It comes with a long warranty.
- The weights rattle a bit and are somewhat noisy to use.
- No stand is included.
2) Proform SpaceSaver Adjustable DumbbellsSource:
- Two 12.5 pound select a weights (25 pounds total)
- Four plates on each side in 2.5 pounds
- Round plates
Per its name, the most significant feature of this adjustable dumbbell is it can help you save space. This is because the Proform adjustable dumbbells are compact and come with a tray for proper organization and secure storage.
Next to its space-saving size, the dumbbells also feature rounded plates similar to the traditional dumbbell, so there will be no adjustment period when your clients use it. Additionally, it features a knurled grip, so it’s easy and comfortable to hold.
With its 2.5-lb increment, it’s a great option for weightlifters that struggle in the lighter weight range as it allows them to gradually switch to the highest weight.
- It has a space-saving design.
- With the storage tray, you can store it in an organized manner in your gym.
- It has a knurled grip for safety and comfort.
- These are the cheapest adjustable dumbbells in the list.
- It is built to last.
- The metal pin gets stuck at times and would require the application of lubrication regularly.
- It has a limited weight range (12.5 lbs max each dumbbell).
3) Bowflex Selecttech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- Adjusts from 5 – 52.5 lbs.Material : Steel, Nylon, ABS, Thermoplastic Rubber..Special feature: Adjustable
- Replaces 15 sets of weights
- Weight selection dial adjusts between 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, and 52.5 lb.
- Try our JRNY Mobile-Only Membership for 2 months, free*
- JRNY with Motion Tracking technology counts your reps and tracks your form in real-time simply by using your phone or tablet’s camera*
Since we’re talking about a Bowflex dumbbell, we can’t not talk about their patented dial system, right? This unique adjustment system allows you to change the weights with just a twist of the dial. It’s both efficient and straightforward– a great feature for busy trainers like you.
Another benefit of the dial system is it removes the guesswork during the adjustment process. As a result, you’re assured that your weights are properly balanced.
The company also did not skimp on the dumbbells’ design. It features a non-slip grip that is ergonomically shaped to minimize fatigue, injuries, and accidents.
This model may have fewer features than the Bowflex Selecttech 1090 adjustable dumbbells, but most gym owners prefer this because of its lower price.
- It comes with weight brackets for a tidy setup.
- The purchase comes with access to the Bowflex app.
- Its wide weight range is perfect for both newbies and advanced weightlifters.
- Thanks to its dial system, the weight distribution is accurate.
- The dumbbells give off a stylish appearance with its black and red combination.
- Its long handles may not be suitable for all body types.
- The equipment is bulky and long.
4) Nordictrack Adjustable Dumbbells
- Learn How to Strength Train with iFit; Discover thousands of trainer-led video workouts on your smartphone or tablet; follow along as iFit Trainers teach proper form and motivate you through exercise
- Replace 26 Dumbbells; The Select-A-Weight adjustable dumbbells each offer 14 weight selections, which means you can replace an entire rack of dumbbells with this single space-savvy set
- Fitted Storage Trays Included; When not in use, securely store your adjustable dumbbells in fitted storage trays that feature clearly-marked weight values; Easily track your weight as you train
- Smooth Weight Selection System; Each adjustable dumbbell features an easy-to-operate selection system that lets you work up in 2.5, 5, and 10-pound increments for a customized workout
- Sold as a Pair; Build your home gym with this versatile weight set; Build strength in the comfort of your home
Nordictrack is one of the famous manufacturers of home gym equipment. That’s why we were surprised to discover that their adjustable dumbbell is priced lower than their competitors. Despite the low price, it still offers quality that NordicTrack is known for.
The first thing that caught our attention is that the Nordictrack dumbbells are shaped like polygons, different from the usual round weights. Because of its unique shape, the dumbbells won’t roll off the floor. As a result, you can also use these as support for push-ups and other floor exercises.
The manufacturer also prioritizes ease of adjustment so you can switch weights by sliding the selector in your preferred weight and locking it in.
While the manufacturer didn’t add cushioning to the handles, they still designed it for comfort by incorporating molded handles.
- The dumbbells’ blue and black color combination gives it a professional look.
- It also comes with molded storage trays.
- The handles are just of the right length.
- Shorter increments make it suitable for all types of weightlifters.
- You can avail of the company’s 30-day money back guarantee offer.
- It has a short warranty period of 90 days.
- The pin may stick, so adjustment is not as easy as promised.
5) Core Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells
- Your purchase includes One Core Fitness Adjustable Dumbbell Weight Set (2), two cradles and an exercise guide. 2 Year Parts Warranty
- Dumbbell only dimensions (each): 14.5″ L x 7.9” W x 7.2″ H | Assembled dimensions (stand with dumbbells) – 22” L x 33.5” W x 31.9″ H | Each dumbbell Weight: 50 lbs. | Weight adjustments – 5lbs to 50lbs per DB
- Quick-change weight adjustments with Twist Lock technology. Allows you to change weight setting with one hand. Set dumbbell in cradle, twist the handle and weight changes quickly and safely
- Contoured, textured and soft grip handle design provides comfortable and secure grip control. Do not use abrasive cleaners or petroleum-based solvents to clean equipment
- Compact design allows you to store and use dumbbells anywhere while still getting the true dumbbell feel
The all-black design of the Core adjustable dumbbells makes it one of the most stylish dumbbells in the market. However, there’s more to it than meets the eye.
This is one of the adjustable dumbbells that come with the TwistLock design, the fastest adjustment system you can use. With this system, you don’t have to let go of the dumbbells’ handles to adjust the weight. You just need to set the dumbbell in its cradle, twist your wrist to your desired weight, and you’re done!
One feature that would undoubtedly benefit the trainers is the weight plates’ plastic shielding. With this simple yet useful feature, the dumbbells won’t create excess noise during the workout. Your clients will love you for it, especially if you’re conducting training sessions in their homes.
Overall, this is one of the most straightforward adjustable dumbbell that you can use.
- The plates’ plastic shielding promotes quiet operation.
- Since the weights lock together, you’re sure that they are secured during the workout.
- The dumbells’ aluminum cradles are lightweight and sleek.
- The handles are textured, contoured, and have soft grips.
- Its flat dumbbell ends resemble that of the traditional dumbbells.
- The company has poor customer service.
- Weights may slip off due to the construction and design.
6) Weider Adjustable Dumbbells
- Replaces Multiple Dumbbells – With just the switch of a selector, change your resistance from 10 lbs (4.5 kg) all the way up to 50 lbs(22.67 kg) of weight. Say goodbye to sets of dumbbells cluttering your workout space.
- Wider Weight Range – With the weight range that adjusts up to 50 lbs each, you’ll continue to see results as your fitness level improves. Adjust in 10 lb (4.5 kg) increments so you can gradually increase your strength.
- Quieter Workouts – Durable molding around metal plates provides for a smooth lift-off and quieter workouts…no clanging metal plates
- Total Body Results – With the wider weight range you can do heavy exercises such as shrugs and lunges as well as lighter exercises such as curls and raises with this 2 pack of dumbbell weights. The dimensions are: 23.6 x 19.3 x 11.9 inches (each)
- Includes – Storage rack tray to save on room while storing your weights. Comfortable grips for extended weight training sessions and the pair of adjustable weights made of steel.
To be honest, the Weider dumbbells have a similar design to that of NordicTrack’s. The two only differ in branding and weight increments. This one has higher increments, which is a great feature for home gyms but may not be favorable for professional use.
The good thing is the weights are easy to adjust, thanks to the dumbbell’s slide and lock system. With this, you just simply slide the pin to your desired weight. Lock it in, and you can get started on your workout.
The unique feature of this dumbbell is its plates are surrounded with durable molding so the weights won’t make noise when they accidentally touch the ground. This is a great feature to have for gym and at-home sessions.
- It has a quiet operation.
- The handle has a variable length.
- The sliding system works more smoothly than other adjustable dumbbells with the same adjustment system.
- The handle is designed to reduce slipperiness.
- The dumbbells are small in diameter, so it is recommended for people with small hands.
- No stands are exclusively made and designed for these dumbbells.
- The sliding pin is prone to jamming after years of use.
7) Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbells
With its name, you would expect to be durable, heavy, and long-lasting. Well, it will live up to your expectations. This is because it has the highest maximum weight capacity in the list – 75 lbs! That’s amazing because you would usually need to add an expansion pack to get this level of resistance.
Let’s also not forget about the fact that the weights are adjusted at 2.5-lb increment. With this feature, you can fulfill the needs of all types of weightlifters—intermediate, beginners, and advanced.
Another thing we love about this product is its unique Quick-Lock system that allows you to add or remove plates by partially turning its locking screws. So far, it’s the only adjustable dumbbell with this mechanism.
Last but not least, the dumbbells are expandable and can accommodate an add-on kit. You can opt for the readily-available 120-lb kit or a custom 165-lb kit.
- Designed to last, the dumbbells have chrome-plated steel handles.
- It features knurled grips for comfort.
- Covered by a lifetime warranty!
- The weights have rubber leveling feet for quiet operation.
- The set already includes a stand that can also accommodate an add-on kit of up to 120 lbs.
- Not the most aesthetic set.
- Separate storage is required for the weights.
8) Ativafit Adjustable Dumbbells
No products found.
The Ativafit Adjustable Dumbbells is one of the brands with the highest weight range in this batch—71.5 lbs. This is an outstanding range considering that most dumbbells, even the high-priced ones, max out at 50 lbs. The high maximum weight capacity is advantageous for a gym owner since more people can use it.
Another reason it’s recommended for professional use is its durable cast, which prevents its materials from rust and corrosion. This ensures that you can use them for many years to come.
It is also one of the few adjustable dumbbells with a rubber grip. This doesn’t just add to the diameter of the bar for comfortable use, it also promotes proper grip and prevents slipperiness caused by sweat from the user’s hands.
- It has a dial system that is known for delivering accurate weight adjustment.
- The materials are covered with a cast for durability.
- It is equipped with a rubber grip for safety and comfort.
- The dumbbell has a high maximum weight capacity.
- The all-black design is versatile and modern-looking.
- This is sold as a single piece.
- The weights are labeled as kilograms.
9) Bayou Fitness Adjustable Dumbbell
- One 50 lb. adjustable dumbbell with storage tray
- Heavy-duty chrome plated steel construction
- Eliminates the need for multiple dumbbells
- Compact and easy to use design saves space and time
- Lift from 10 to 50 lbs
The Bayou Fitness dumbbells are some of the cheapest options you can find in the market. Despite its low price, its features can rival that of other high-end dumbbells.
The most prized feature of the dumbbells is its high-quality chrome-plated steel construction, which is known to last. More than that, the steel materials give the dumbbells that tough and sleek look.
Its handles are not equipped with rubber coating, but that doesn’t mean they are uncomfortable to hold. It is one of the most raved features of the dumbbell because its sizable bar diameter paired with knurled texture promotes a comfortable and sure grip.
- The chrome-plated steel construction is both durable and stylish.
- It is one of the cheapest adjustable dumbbells available.
- The slide adjustment system is easy to operate.
- It comes with trays for easy storage.
- This is recommended for people on a budget.
- You need to apply lubricant to the adjustment system from time to time.
- It has the highest minimum weight of 10 lbs.
10) Merax Adjustable Dumbbells
- Each dumbbell adjust from 5 lbs to 80 lbs with 18 different weight options to choose from. One Dumbbell Only, NOT A Pair. Choose quantity 2 if you want a pair.
- [Adjustable Weight] With a unique built-in dial system, the weight can be adjusted from 5 to 80 lbs through easy rotation of the dial. Select your preferred weight amount to meet your current fitness goals with 18 different weight options to choose from.
- [Effective Training] Combines 18 sets of weights into one offering versatile workout for your whole body. Integrate the valuable benefits of strength training to your home workout routine with this Merax dumbbell Set and improve your muscle strength, bone health, and burn calories effectively.
- [Maximized Safety] Manufactured with premium materials, this dumbbell set ensures a long-lasting lifespan and is designed to withstand daily use. When released, the built-in safety lock secures your selected weight amount in place as an added safeguard feature, preventing the risk of dangerous accidental weight plate falling.
- Whether you prefer heavy or lightweight exercise, this product features an adjustable weight range that will cater to your needs perfectly offering a customized workout.
With the maximum range of 71.5lbs, the Merax Dumbbells is an excellent option for professional use as it can accommodate the weight needs of advanced weightlifters.
Another feature worth noting is its dial adjustment system, which used to be exclusive to Bowflex dumbbells. This weight adjustment system is the go-to system for accurate weight distribution and hassle-free adjustment process.
One more thing we appreciate about this product comes with storage trays. If you choose to go for the set that comes with a dumbbell stand, you can easily mount these trays over the stand’s platforms. With the stand, you can store the dumbbell without cluttering the floor.
The rack even comes with wheels so you can move it from one place to the other. To avoid accidents, you can choose to lock the wheels in place.
- The dumbbells are easy and comfortable to hold.
- It is equipped with a unique dial system.
- The tray can store the weights and prevent them from rolling while you’re working out.
- You can also choose a dumbbell set that comes with a stand.
- The addition of rubber grips would come handy for people with sweaty hands.
- 5.5 lbs increment is not recommended for beginner weightlifters.
- The dumbbells are prone to producing rattling noise.
How to Choose the Best Adjustable Weights
There’s no doubt that a pair of adjustable dumbbells is an excellent addition to your personal training equipment arsenal. However, finding one is not a simple walk in the park. Here are some of the things you need to keep in mind to help you determine which is the best investment for your personal training business.
Ease of Adjustment
The main reason why you want to invest in adjustable dumbbells is because of their adjustability. With that in mind, you must pay attention to the adjustment system of the product. Here are some of the mechanisms that you can find in most heavy adjustable dumbbells:
This allows you to change the weight with just a twist of the wrist. It’s easy to adjust, compact, and space-saving. However, it doesn’t give you an option to add extra weight plates.
Slide and Lock
This is made up of a pin that you can slide down and lock into your desired weight.
This mechanism allows you to adjust each end of the dumbbell to different weights, giving you a chance for offset lifting. However, these are the most expensive types.
To adjust the weight, you can remove or add a magnetic pin. With its design, the dumbbells are more compact and durable. This also gives you the feel of a fixed weight dumbbell, so it’s easier to use.
Ergonomic and Safe Design
Next to the ease of adjustment, you should prioritize the ease and safety of use too. The handle design plays a significant role in this. Most dumbbells have non-slip metal construction, which is enough to keep you safe. For sweaty hands, a handle with foam or rubber grip is more suitable.
Handle length matters too. Shorter handles are more comfortable to deal with and provides you with the natural feel of using a fixed weight dumbbell. This is key for movements such as the overhead shoulder press.
Weight Range and Interval
Since this is for commercial and professional use, an adjustable dumbbell with the lowest minimum weight and highest maximum weight capacity so your clients can use it, whether they are a newbie or advanced weightlifters.
To ensure that the dumbbell can accommodate all types of different plans and goals, choose one with 2 to 3-pound increments. In this way, even the beginner lifters and people recovering from injuries can still use it.
You will surely work with serious lifters who will outgrow the 50-lb weight range of most adjustable dumbbells. To satisfy their needs, you must choose a dumbbell that gives you the option of adding extra weight using expansion packs.
Conclusion: What is the Best Adjustable Dumbbell?
As a personal trainer, price should definitely be taken most into consideration. However, you shouldn’t forget the quality as well. The key here is to look for a dumbbell that can give you the most useful features at the most affordable price.
To make the most out of your investment, you should go for ones with a comprehensive weight range and expandability features so more clients can use it. In the list, there are only two products that have these features.
For most fitness professionals, it would be a battle between Powerblock vs Bowflex Selecttech. For us, It’s the battle between Powerblock and Ironmaster. However, we believe that the Powerblock Personal Trainer Set is a better choice because it has a compact and more portable design and is overall a great pick.
What are you waiting for? Get one now! These products are surely worth the investment!