Are you looking for an incredibly versatile piece of equipment that you can add to your personal training equipment arsenal? You may want to consider adjustable kettlebells!
As you know, the kettlebell is fantastic for a full body workout because it has a small form factor and it’s suitable for both strengthening and conditioning exercises. However, you generally wouldn’t consider buying an entire kettlebell set to bring with you to each training session unless you had your own gym or training studio.
Perhaps the biggest downside to kettlebells and weights is that they are expensive. Most of the cost is a result of freight and shipping so it’s hard to find cheap adjustable kettlebells.
Well, with the invention of adjustable kettlebells, these issues have become things of the past. Personal trainers now have the chance to offer all the great kettlebell training benefits to their clients without breaking the bank or having to lug an entire gym to each appointment!
If you want to discover which are the best adjustable kettlebell sets for personal trainers, continue reading on for our kettlebell reviews!
Best Adjustable Kettlebells Review Comparison Table
Adjustable Kettlebell Reviews for Personal Training
As a personal trainer, it’s important to maximize the investment you make into a piece of equipment that you’ll use with clients and you may be wondering are adjustable kettlebells worth it.
To help you find the best kettlebells with adjustable weights for your training needs, we’ve compiled some of the best on the market. Check them out below!
1) Bowflex Selecttech 840 Adjustable Kettlebell
- Includes 1-Year JRNY Membership (Dollar 149 value; auto renews when trial ends unless cancelled 48 hours prior to trial end date)
- Adjusts from 8 – 40 lbs
- Replaces 6 kettlebells
- Dimensions: 8.8″ L x 7″ W x 12.5″ H (22.4 x 17.8 x 31.8 cm)
- On-demand, full body strength classes now available on the JRNY app (JRNY Membership Required)
Bowflex, a leader in fitness equipment, is known for developing quick and easy-to-use adjustment systems. They were the first ones to introduce the quick-change dial adjustment mechanism.
This is the locking mechanism found on the Bowflex Selecttech 840 Adjustable Kettlebell. On top of the kettlebell, you’ll find a dial that features the different weight levels. Simply twist the dial to the preferred weight level, and you’re good to go! With its simple “dial and go” design, swapping weights has never been easier.
One of the most significant disadvantages of this locking mechanism is the sleek shape and non-exposed weight plates, for added safety while working out. The kettlebell includes a smooth and rigid plastic casing where the weight plates are properly stored, so they aren’t exposed.
The Bowflex Adjustable Kettlebell has also got a wide weight range—8 to 40 lbs. This is a decent range for both your beginner and advanced clients. The small weight increment also ensures that your clients can slowly progress through their routines without any hassles.
- Convenient and hassle-free weight-adjustment system
- Slim ergonomic form factor
- Sleek all-black with red detail design
- Durable metal and plastic construction
- Good weight range
- The maximum weight capacity may not be enough for advanced users
2) Apex Heavy Duty Adjustable Kettlebell
- Complete weight set – the Apex Adjustable weight set includes everything you need for muscle building and weight lifting. This all-in-one set Comes with a 15lb weighted handle, 4 non-weighted removable spacer disks, and a 5lb bottom plate.
- Heavy-duty construction – Made from solid cast-iron and reinforced with a powder coating, This kettle bell set is a reliable gear that will last a long time. Its textured and durable surface resists wear and tear while preventing damage from heavy Use.
- Adjustable training gear– customize your workout according to your skillset with this versatile equipment. You can adjust the weight of the Kettlebell between 20 to 50 pounds by replacing the removable spacer disks with standard 2. 5, 5, or 10lb weights.
- U-bar handle for superior grip – This kettlebell allows you to perform large movements with its traditional u-bar handle. This specially designed handle facilitates precise contact of the hands on the bar for optimal grip and superior control.
- Ideal for various exercises – Enjoy workout out right at home with this functional gym gear. These weights are excellent for lifting, toning, and strength-training exercises or for Use with circuit training and body building.
The Apex Heavy Duty Adjustable Kettlebell combines quality and affordability.
Despite its low price, the kettlebell still has a lot to offer! For one, it is built with solid cast iron and made to last. For added durability it is reinforced with a powder coating designed to withstand wear and tear.
One feature that captured our attention is the kettlebell’s unique design. The kettlebell comes in three parts—the kettlebell handle (15 lbs), 4 spacer plates (0 lbs), and the base plate (5lbs).
Alone, the kettlebell weighs 20lbs.
The great part is you’re given a chance to customize its weight by replacing the 0lb spacer plates with your own weight plates (not included). However, the maximum weight you can add is up to 30lbs and minimum remains 20lbs.
Adding and removing the weight plates on the Apex adjustable kettlebell is simple. You only have to lay the kettlebell flat, twist the knob and unscrew the pin underneath. Then, slide the pin out, remove the bottom plate, and replace the spacer plates with your weight plates. It’s that easy!
- Solid cast iron construction
- Powder-coated grip
- Option to add your own weight
- Durable and will last for years
- Not suitable for weight under 20lbs, so it’s not recommended for beginners
- Need to purchase/add your own separate weight plates to adjust the resistance
3) Powerblock Adjustable Kettlebell
- Replaces 4 kettlebells in the space of 1
- Contoured shell provides exceptional comfort
- Feels like a solid iron kettlebell with the advantages of adjustability
- Increments 18 22 26 and 35 lbs
- All steel construction with steel selection pin with magnetic lock
Brought to you by the same company that makes some of the best adjustable dumbbells on the market, the Powerblock adjustable kettlebells are amongst the most ergonomic and compact that you could come across.
This kettlebell offers four weight settings with an 18-35 lb range. In addition to its compact size, we approve of its compact size that is somewhat easier to maneuver than a traditional kettlebell.
Another unique thing about this is its weight adjustment system. It is equipped with the steel selection pin mechanism with a magnetic lock. When switching weight, you just need to insert the pin to the hole that indicates your desired weight setting. The rest of the weight plates will be left at the floor once you pick up the kettlebell.
With its all-metal construction and smooth surface, you’re sure that the kettlebell will last for years to come.
- Handle width is perfect for single- and double-handed use
- Compact and contoured solid metal shell
- Sleek matte black design
- Easy weight-adjustment
- Highly portable
- Limited weight range
- Non-traditional shape
4) Powerblock Kettleblock
- Adjustable weight range from 5 – 20 lbs.
- Replaces 5 kettlebells or 61 lbs of kettlebells
- Increments: 5, 8, 12, 20 lbs.
- Dimensions: 11″ L x 10″ W x 13″ H, 21 lbs.
- Warranty: 3 Years Parts/5 Years Weights PowerBlock
Like its sister product the Powerblock Adjustable Dumbbells, one look at this kettlebell can leave you feeling intimidated. That’s because its design features multiple colors and other elements that give it a complicated appearance.
The truth is, the PowerBlock KettleBlock is probably one of the easiest kettlebells to use. The pin-lock mechanism only requires that you insert the pin into the desired weight level, and start swinging! The weights are color-coded so you won’t get confused.
As you lift the handle, the weights not in use will be left behind in a holding tray to keep the weights. Unlike the other Powerblock Kettlebell in the list, this has a larger profile.
- More affordable than other pin-lock adjustable kettlebells
- Color-coded weight increment
- Innovative pin-lock mechanism
- Lots of weight settings
- Great weight range
- Sleek and compact casing
- The handle is too big for some people
- Non-rounded shape is unusual for some
5) Shanchar Adjustable Kettlebell
With its 7 weight settings from 6-40lbs (equivalent to 7 conventional kettlebells), the Shanchar Kettlebell helps you save a ton of space. It has the convenient-to-use slide-dial system that allows you to change the kettlebell’s weight in a snap.
Designed with safety and comfort in mind, it has a wide handle that is perfect for one or two hands. With its weight range and small weight increments, it can gradually help your clients progress in their workouts.
- Flat bottom design to secure the weight plates
- Easy-to-operate weight-adjustment system
- Wide ergonomic design handle
- Small weight increments
- Max weight of 40lbs
- A bit awkward when not all weights are loaded
Choosing Adjustable Kettlebells: Factors to Keep in Mind
There are many high-quality adjustable kettlebells on the market and choosing the right personal training equipment can sometimes be overwhelming and confusing.
Lucky for you, we’ve done all the research for you. To find the best model for you and understand how adjustable kettlebells work, here are some factors to keep in mind:
Weight Adjustment System/ Locking mechanism
As with adjustable weights, adjustable kettlebells come with different locking or adjustment mechanisms. This is a top consideration since it has a significant impact on the equipment’s ease of use and user safety. Here are two of the most convenient locking mechanisms you may come across:
To adjust the weight and keep it in place, you simply slide the pin from one weight to the target weight.
Dial or slide mechanism
This mechanism resembles that of the dial on a washing machine or microwave. Just twist the dial to your desired weight. That’s it!
One of the most significant advantages of adjustable kettlebells is they offer plenty of weight options. Because of this, you need to pay special attention to the range of weights offered on that particular item.
Another weight factor you should keep in mind is weight increments. Smaller weight increments give the user a chance to slowly progress through the different levels of your body training workouts rather than having to jump between levels.
Since you’ll be working with different clients with varying strength levels and weight needs, you should consider the widest weight range (low minimum weight capacity and high maximum weight capacity) with small increments (more weight levels/ settings).
The type of materials used to manufacture the kettlebell determine its durability, which can impact your clients’ safety and comfort. If you want to reduce your risk of injury, choose a kettlebell made from cast iron and steel. While these materials are expensive, they last for years to give you the best value for your investment.
You can find cheaper kettlebells which are made of plastic and rubber. However, these are able to withstand long-term use in the same way.
The design of an adjustable kettlebell handle is one feature you should pay attention to if you want to provide an ergonomic kettlebell to your clients.
First of all, the handle must be easy and comfortable to hold. There should be a sufficient opening between the handle and the bell that can accommodate both hands so you’re not limited in movements. Lastly, you should also check the adjustable kettlebell grip’s circumference so that large and small hands are accommodated.
Which is the Best Adjustable Kettlebell for You?
A wide weight range, ergonomic and compact design, convenient weight switching system, and affordable price are the features that personal trainers should seek from adjustable kettlebell weights.
With these considerations in mind, which is the best adjustable kettlebell for personal trainers? While it’s challenging to find an adjustable kettlebell that would suit the weight needs of both beginners and hardcore weightlifters our pick is the Powerblock KettleBlock because of its weight range and easy adjustment system. If you’re looking for a single kettlebell or kettlebell set, this is it.
Adjustable kettlebells and dumbbells have made it incredibly easy to have the power of an entire gym in the form factor of a single piece of equipment.
If you’re seeking a versatile piece of equipment that can adjust to meet the needs of both your beginner and advanced personal training clients, an adjustable kettlebell set is worth the investment!