Are you in the market for equipment to test client balance and proprioception? Personal trainers understand the benefits of a balance trainer and you’re probably always on the lookout for versatile training equipment that you can use in a wide variety of exercises.
The BOSU (BOth Sides Up) ball is one of the first that comes to mind due to its brand presence. It is a half ball sport balance trainer and is more practical than a traditional stability ball because it can be used in two ways—dome side facing up (stability ball) and dome side facing down (wobble board).
The versatile design makes it useful for different types of training, including stretching, strength training, rehabilitation, balancing, and core exercises.
Some of the popular BOSU Ball exercises include bridges, mountain climbers, burpees, squats, pushups, abs exercises and more.
Balance trainers like the BOSU ball can be a space-saving and versatile addition to your mobile personal training toolkit. However, BOSU is amongst the most expensive of its type due to its brand name premium.
The goal of this review is to find a low-cost alternative to BOSU ball.
You’re in luck because we’ll cover all you need to know when selecting BOSU ball substitutes. Let’s jump in and get started!
Bosu Ball Alternatives Comparison Table
Half Ball Balance Trainers Review – 5 BOSU Alternatives
Prices of different types of BOSU brand balls range from $120 to $180. To help you save a few bucks, we’ve rounded up half ball balance trainers that have similar high quality standards as the original for just a fraction of the cost. Here they are:
1) Bosu Balance Trainer “The Original”
- PROVEN: BOSU Balance Trainer provides cardio, muscular strength, flexibility and endurance training in unique, challenging and highly effective workouts. Downloadable workouts are developed by industry professionals to improve overall fitness and health
- IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH: Challenging and fun, the BOSU Balance Trainer gives a whole new meaning to “moving with control” as you work out on an unstable, dynamic surface
- INCLUDED: BOSU Balance Trainer, Downloadable Owner’s manual, and hand pump
- BUILT TO LAST: The BOSU Balance Trainer has been tested to last 10x the leading generic balance trainer. Maximum User Weight: 300 lbs
If you’re looking to get a BOSU ball cheap, we included the Original BOSU Balance Trainer because it’s the most affordable BOSU brand model available. Since it’s manufactured by the company which originally introduced this equipment, you’re certain to expect a high quality product.
The BOSU company emerged in 2000, and the BOSU ball is one of their first products, which became a huge hit in the fitness industry. Their current product line includes fitness balls, balance bars, and more.
This first-generation BOSU ball features a classic design and only has few differences than that of the Pro version. The perfectly shaped half-dome has a maximum weight capacity of up to 300 lbs.
It provides an unstable and dynamic surface, making it a good option for stability and balance training routines. To achieve this type of exercise surface, you need to fill the dome up to 10 inches in height.
With its no-frills design, it’s one of the simplest BOSU balls to use.
- This is the most affordable brand name BOSU ball model available
- US-based customer support
- Access to downloadable BOSU ball workout videos so you can have more training ideas
- Made in the USA
- Comes in 20 different color combinations
- It’s the most expensive product on our list
- Some customers complain this model of BOSU ball is prone to air leaks
2) DEVEBOR Half Ball Sport Balance Trainer
- ✅Non-slip and High Bearing Capacity：DEVEBOR exercise half ball adopts a matte surface and adds a thread design, more non-slip, even your sweaty hands and feet can remain stable during training, allowing you to safely stand, jump, kneel, or lay on this balance trainer, achieving a completely worry free workout. In terms of load-bearing capacity, this balance trainer can reach a maximum of 800lbs, strong and durable.
- ✅Lightweight & Easy Portability:The DEVEBOR BLANCE TRAINER is 23.6” Dia, 8.7” H and weighs 11.5 LBS, compared with other products, it is larger and lighter. It’s convenient for you to carry it to the gym, park, or beach to enjoy workout. This half dome ball is absolutely the best exercise gear for your home workout and a great addition to your yoga practice.
- ✅100% Safety: The half fitness ball is made of environmentally friendly PVC to ensure a 100% healthy and safe use.The stable base is designed with 6 anti-slip and floor protectable foot pads, improving stability to a maximum extent. (Inflation Notice: Do not inflate the ball too much air to higher than 8.7 inch, otherwise, it would influence the use of the ball)
- ✅Versatile Workout Balance Trainer： DEVEBOR balance ball is compatible with a variety of exercises including lower-ab crunch, plank, triceps dip and more, ideal for users of all ages to increase core strength, stability and flexibility and making the best of your home fitness routine.
- ✅High-quality after-sales Guarantee: If you have any problems during use our DEVEBOR product, Please feel free to contact us for solution, we will definitely provide you with the best solution.
Devebor is a relatively new fitness brand, but has been making a name by offering this half ball balance trainer. Even though it’s more affordable than the BOSU original ball by just a few dollars, it has more advanced features. With its design and features, it can rival the best in the market.
To begin with, it has a maximum weight capacity of 800 lbs! That’s almost three times the maximum weight capacity of the original BOSU ball. With this capacity, it can accommodate even your heaviest clients.
Safety is the company’s main priority. That’s why their balance trainer features a slip-resistant spiral textured matte surface. Even its base comes with 6 anti-slip foot pads and has an anti-skid textured finish.
Durability should also not be an issue since it’s equipped with the company’s time tested anti-burst technology. The use of this ball ensures ease of use since you can inflate it in just one minute.
Truly, every detail of this balance trainer demonstrates the highest quality.
- Very high maximum weight capacity
- The half ball already comes with resistance bands
- It features a slip-resistant surface and a skid-free pad
- You can choose from four color options, including black, blue, gray, and red
- The black version of this half ball is incredibly stylish and sleek
- Does not include assembly instructions
- The stability knobs under the pad may interfere with exercises that have to be done with the dome faced upside down
3) URBNFit Half Ball Balance Trainer
- A Complete Workout: Designed to be used on both sides, this balance trainer is great for coordination exercises, push steps, squats, lunges, crunches, and even burpees.
- Safety First: No more Humpty Dumpty-esque falls. Our half ball features slip-resistant material for added stability during your workout routine.
- Portable: From rehab offices, to gyms, to even your home, these balance trainers make exercising hassle-free, wherever life takes you.
- Bonus Equipment: Our stability ball also comes with a downloadable workout guide, a pump for easy inflation, and clip-on resistance bands for muscle toning.
- Gift Ready: Celebrate your fitness buff friends on their special day and surprise them with the URBNFit exercise ball, an excellent add-on to any sweat session.
URBNFiT, the manufacturer of this balance trainer, is an all-around fitness equipment company that sells exercise equipment, resistance bands, exercise balls, and yoga accessories.
The company claims that this is an all-in-one half ball trainer as it already comes with resistance bands and everything you need to set it up (valve plugs plus air pump).
Designed with your safety in mind, the half-ball surface is made of slip-resistant materials. At the bottom of its base, you can find anti-slide floor pads. It also has a textured surface, so your safety won’t be a problem when you use the half ball upside down.
When you purchase this half ball trainer, a free workout guide will be automatically forwarded to your email, and you can download it to your phone, so you can check it out on the go.
- Two color options—black and blue
- The half ball already includes resistance bands
- It comes with an easily accessible mobile-friendly workout guide
- The package also already includes pump and valve plugs for easy installation
- The resistance bands are of lower quality
- The air pump is not very durable
4) ATIVAFIT Half Ball Balance Trainer
- Safety Guarantee – The Ativafit half balance ball trainer is a creative and new version of balance ball trainer which features in its upgraded cloud textured matte surface, and made of environmental-friendly and non-toxic PVC without any worry of possible allergy. It is harmless to your health, durable and convenient to clean.
- Slip Resistance & Anti-Burst – The exercise ball base is equipped with 6 anti-slip rubber feet, extra 1.2in thick base and anti-skid cloud texture, which can improve users’ stability to a maximum extent, allows you to safely stand, jump, kneel, or lay on this balance trainer, achieving a completely worry free workout. Furthermore, the tested and verified anti-burst technology guarantees a security.
- Versatile Workout trainer – You can do push-ups, squats, crunches, climbers, lunges, planks and many more workouts with this half ball and exercise bands, which provides endless exercising options & allows a wide range of users to increase core strength, stability and flexibility and making the best of your home fitness routine.
- Lightweight & Portability – Ativafit yoga balance ball half is light weight but hold up to large capacity 660 lbs, much easy for you to carry and storage it to the gym, home, or office to enjoy workout. The air pump can help you adjust resistance as desired.
- Kit for Your Versatile Workout – The stability ball is 23.4” W x 7.1”H and weighs 10 LBS. Package Includes: 1 x Balance Board, 2 x Elastic Strings, 1 x Air Pump, 1 x Valve Plug. You will experience low impact workouts that target core muscle groups while building your balance training.
The Ativafit Balance Trainer is one of the most popular alternatives for BOSU ball, and there are plenty of good reasons why!
With its cloud-textured matte surface, this is one of the most beautiful half ball balance trainers we’ve ever seen. The good news is the texture is more than just for aesthetic purposes! It’s also designed to improve the surface’s grip to minimize the chances of slipping.
At the bottom of the trainer’s base, you can find 6 anti-slip rubber feet to prevent skidding. The base is also 1.2-inch thick to promote stability.
With its anti-burst features, this half ball trainer guarantees not just safety but also durability.
- The balance trainer includes detachable resistance bands, so they won’t get in your way when you perform exercises that don’t require them
- It’s lightweight and highly portable
- The set includes plugs and an air pump for convenient setup
- You can choose from three colors—pink, black, and purple
- It’s made from non-toxic and eco-friendly PVC material
- Using the ball upside down leaves rubber feet at the base sticking out
- Resistance bands do not seem to be very durable
5) PEXMOR Half Ball Balance Trainer
- ★ Upgraded Pebble Textured Surface to Massage: The newest version half balance ball in the market. Pebble textured surface that helps to stimulate the body acupuncture points and reduce fatigue, gentle spikes stimulate blood flow and circulation. Perfect to massage sore feet and back.
- ★ 100% Safety: Our half fitness ball is made of environmentally friendly PVC to avoid allergy. It does no harm to your health. Anti-slide base & anti-skid texture to improve users’ stability. Wear-resistant ABS base plus 8 anti-skid feet and anti-burst technology guarantee safety during use. 660 lbs large weight capacity.
- ★ Lightweight & Portability: Our balance trainer ball with fitness cords is designed with compact size, easy for you to carry it to the gym, park, or beach to enjoy workout. Half dome ball is the absolute best exercise gear for your home workout and a great addition to your yoga practice.
- ★ Free Bonus for you: Come with a complimentary foot pump. And two air plugs. Also with 2 detachable resistance bands broaden workout types, so you can do front squat, standing adductor, bent-over row and more to reshape your body. Now let our yoga ball be your personal trainer and enjoy superb gym experiences at home.
- ★ Versatile Workout Balance trainer: Exercise ball with anti-skid peddle texture is compatible with a variety of exercises including lower-ab crunch, plank, triceps dip and more, ideal for users of all ages to increase core strength, stability and flexibility and making the best of your home fitness routine.This anti-burst half stability ball is durable and easy to clean after use.
Last but not least, we have this half ball trainer from PEXMOR, the most affordable brand on the list. Despite its low price, it promises 100% safety of use.
This is the only balance trainer in this list with a pebble-textured surface, which improves the surface’s grip. More than that, this feature is also designed to stimulate the different acupuncture points in the body to prevent fatigue and stimulate blood circulation. It’s like an exercise and massage ball rolled into one! The textured surface is paired with an anti-skid base to prevent unwanted accidents.
It’s also incorporated with anti-burst technology, so you’re sure it won’t leak or pop even if your client weighs over 660 lbs.
The package comes with everything you need to get set up—pump, plugs, and resistance bands.
- It already has detachable resistance bands for more exercise variations
- The dome material is an eco-friendly PVC to prevent allergic reactions
- It comes in three colors—blue, pink, and gray
- Includes free workout guides that you can incorporate into your programs
- Some reviews complain the ball is prone to deflate quickly
How to Choose a Half Ball Balance Trainer
With the number of BOSU ball alternatives being sold in the market, finding a cheap option to BOSU ball may seem like a breeze. However, price is not the only factor that you should consider.
If you want your clients to perform BOSU ball exercises safely and you want to get value for your money, here are the questions you need to ask yourself when choosing a BOSU ball substitute:
What size BOSU ball do I need?
Half-ball balance trainers come in different sizes to accommodate the different weights and sizes of the users and various exercise types that they wish to perform.
Generally, a standard-sized half-ball trainer is a good option for most adults and youth who plan to perform the usual exercises, so this would be an excellent choice for your training arsenal.
However, if you have taller clients or clients with advanced fitness levels who are keen on performing hardcore exercises, you may want to invest in a larger ball.
What is the ball’s weight and its maximum weight limit?
If you offer in-home personal training services, you need a BOSU ball alternative that is lightweight, so you can easily transport it with you.
On the other hand, you should also pay attention to the ball’s maximum weight limit. Keep in mind that these balls are made of rubber, so they are prone to popping or deflating if the weight is too much for it to bear. Since you’ll be working with different clients, you recommend that you go for a BOSU ball alternative with the highest weight limits possible.
Which exercises for the BOSU ball will be used?
Different types of BOSU balls are designed for specific exercise types. That’s why you must keep in mind the exercises included in your clients’ training programs so you can determine the right one for their goals.
Using a BOSU ball for balance is incredibly popular amongst personal trainers due to its effectiveness.
If your routines include mobility and balance training, you need a softer ball that offers more instability. On the other hand, you should go for firmer and more stable BOSU balls with built-in springs if you plan to incorporate strength training and rehabilitation exercises in your training.
What other features should I look for when buying a BOSU ball?
Although BOSU balls generally have no-frills and straightforward designs. Some still come with features meant to increase user satisfaction, safety, and comfort.
For one, some balls have textured surfaces to improve grip and reduce the chances of accidents and slippages. Some models come with accessories like a pump (for easy setup) or resistance bands (for increasing the intensity of exercises).
Conclusion – Which Half Ball Trainer Should You Buy?
While there is no true replacement for BOSU ball, since it is a major brand name. However, there are plenty of lower cost substitutes on the market!
Investing in a BOSU ball alternative is a more affordable way of taking advantage of a BOSU ball’s benefits without breaking the bank. Safety features should be your biggest concern when looking for an alternative to BOSU Ball since it is an intentionally unbalanced surface.
For us, this roundup’s winner is no other than the DEVEBOR Half Ball Sport Balance Trainer. It may be only a few dollars more affordable than the basic BOSU ball, but its features and maximum capacity (800 lbs!) is far superior than the original.
If you want to give your clients the best well-rounded workout routines, this substitute for the BOSU ball is the way to go. So what are you waiting for? Get one today!